Sunday, July 1, 2012

Art Making/Material Exploration Number 3: Installation


Works of art that are categorized into the genre of “installation” can encompass many forms of creativity and uses of space.  Since installation art requires an amount of space these works of art endure a lengthy process and thorough dedication in order to achieve the artist’s goal (in professional standards).  Additionally, the materials that are implemented into these works of art come from an enormous category and artists can even use utilitarian objects or create new objects to install into their artwork. Specifically the materials can be explained as being general art materials (various kinds of paint, metals, acrylics, ceramic, etc…) and an array of objects or other materials that the artists is implementing into his or her work of art.   For example, an artist can use an object they put together (i.e. Welded metallic materials that do not have a common appearance, or do have a common appearance) and then use the common materials such as paint or plaster to highlight the emotions and thoughts behind the work of art as well as giving the creative work a more significant appearance (i.e. Painting the welded metallic materials, adding acrylic, or other things to form the completed version of the work of art.)  The length of a discussion that can be generated from the use of materials in a work of art that is deemed in the category of installation is extremely long and can transition into a conversation that almost never ends, hence the general and brief explanation aforementioned. 


The reasons for making an installation work of art has numerous reasons, one being that is was the artist chooses to partake in.  A second reason is a more common goal of artists, it allows for an expression on emotions and thoughts from both the artist and the viewers.  Lastly, I think installations have a purpose of utilizing the space around a person so a different perception and act of viewing is achieved, by using a larger space it changes the interaction of the viewer, he or she is not looking straight ahead or from a specific angle, by doing this I think a different perception is attained because the actions of movement from the eyes, and limbs, which in turn transitions into a process of thoughts that have a quicker succession.  Moreover, the artist that I found to be the most appealing was Suzanne Hiller, mostly due to her outlook on what installation artwork can be.  Particularly, when she expounds how a viewer standing in the center of a four-walled video image is considered to be an artwork of the installation category solidified my opinion on this debate of what standards are associated for this form of art, which is however an artist chooses to utilize the space. 


As for the themes that I wanted to incorporate in my form of installation art I chose; environment, self, and the human experience theme.  The reason is because I enjoy observing my experiences in life and projecting them as an influence into the idea of how humans are so busy that they forget to realize all the things that are in their life, and how so many people are caught up in the technology craze.  For example, I tried to create a unique visual into my routine for work and how this is seen as so mundane for me.  However, if I were to compare this experience to another person’s routine it would not come close to what they see as normal, or common.  Hence, the reason why I chose to take photographs and videos of my bedroom, videos of my feet on the walk to work, the deceased chicken on skewers, and the end result of the night.  Additionally, I attempted convey a sense that my life in general is art, and If I stop to look at my environment it is possible to use creativity to release those endorphins in the brain, naturally of course.  Overall, I used materials that that range from an iPhone, the contrast options of my video elements (to capture my Sideways Walk in the Digital World) and my mind.  Still, I found this project to be difficult because I envisioned my installation to be a theatre-like environment with specific music attached to it, however, I do not have the resources for this; try to use your imagination.   Also, I spun each video and added distortion  to create the thought about how direction and perception can  be altered in life, meaning that it can take a only a few mintues to drastically change a person's life, as well as to convey the thought that I think most people live a world that too much mundane activities. Below, The videos and photographs are set up in a specific order, and SUPPOSED to be projected on a four-walled theatre-like environment with specific music attached.

  















No comments:

Post a Comment