Saturday, June 30, 2012

Week Six: Video Review

   
After watching the videos I was able to gain an in depth understanding of the concepts, intricacies, time and effort that is necessary, as well as the advanced procedures that are involved with making these specific forms of art.  Specifically, with the "Through the Eyes of the Sculptor" film I was able to take a massive amount of information and appreciation for this particular art field.  One specific thing that I learned was how the process of sculpting is done, prior to viewing this film I thought a lone sculptor was chiseling always at an enormous piece of rock.  Moreover, I also was astonished when I discovered that there is a team of people helping an artist attain a certain goal, this process reminded me of an assembly line that encouraged creativity, which is uncommon in a process like this.  The second main thing that I learned was about the years of experience and dedication that is necessary to proclaim professionalism.  Again, by watching this film I noticed the accumulation of experience over many years that Emmanuel Fillion had to partake in in order to be deemed as a credible sculptor.  This also allowed me to understand the dedication and effort that goes into many sculptures, for me I think of it as a lifetime of experience and not some spontaneous occurrence or compensated endeavor. 

As for the film titled “Glass and Ceramics” I was provided with a new found intelligence in regards to a form of art again.  This particular craft was very interesting to learn about, specifically because I never knew about the extensive process that is undergone to achieve a completed project.  Also, not only learning about the chemistry about how glass is made, but how glass can be tinted and shaped for stained glass, as well how glass in used in architecture was very profound in my opinion.   Specifically with stained glass I was again astonished by how lead is used as well as the prior artistic process that is necessary to reach the completed version.  Using smaller replicas and testing pieces never has crossed my mind before watching this film, very fascinating. 

The third film, “Installation,” was quite interesting as well as educational.  Before watching this film I have no idea what the forms of art that depicted these certain things were called.  For example, while visiting the Albright-Knox Art Gallery I decided to venture into the other parts of the gallery rather than staying on the floor where photography was allowed.  By doing this I encountered several works of art that implemented video, projectors, televisions, beds, and other ordinary objects that were used in a creative fashion.  Moreover, I think I am obligated to mention that this is my second favorite form of art, but who is counting?  Getting back to the objective, one of the most important things that I learned was how an artist can take utilitarian objects and use their creativity to turn them into marvelous and unique forms of art.  I do not know how to explain why I find this so fascinating, an attempt may be done so by acknowledging the fact that I think art can be anything, and relies on interpretations and perceptions.

In comparison the chapters in the Getlein textbook I found that films were related to them in an enlightened manner.  Being an enormous nerd and partaking in my nerdy standards I am always trying to figure out the best forms of materials to learn from.  However, during my scholarly research at Buffalo State College I began to notice that incorporating numerous educational elements is the most prominent way of learning, meaning that I have steered away from only using the reading materials.  With this being stated, I think the videos related extremely well to the chapters, they brought that missing link that ended the little amount of confusion and wariness I had.  Furthermore, the films were able to go into a detailed description in regards to the many processes that these forms of art endure, the processes that help them reach the completed version, also, a process that is seldom noticed by the viewers.  Lastly, I thought that all the films were outstanding; they gave a new insight into the effort and dedication that goes into these works of art.  They also expounded the philosophy of aesthetics again, and how works of art are an extension of the artist that creates them.  Without this I think that works of art would be considered mundane and not have the capability of influencing the thoughts and emotions that they expel.  Again, awesome and very fascinating films, I would recommend them to anyone, not only art students!

No comments:

Post a Comment