Sunday, June 24, 2012

Project Number 2 Art Gallery Visit Number 1- Responding To Artwork

   The first work of art that impacted my thoughts and feelings was by the American artist Marsden Hartley.  His oil on canvas painting that is simply titled Painting Number 46 (1914-1915) drew me to viewing it because of the style and colors used in the painting.  Also, the painting had an abstract approach attached to it which is my favorite style of painting.  I was able to connect to this particular painting because of this reason, additionally, since I paint in this fashion as well the artwork allowed me to see how others enjoy the similar methods as I, as well as gaining new insight to various methods and meanings behind such cetegories of art.  I would like to know more about this work of art specifically with the idea that initiated this creativty, where did it come from, and why?  What was going on duing Hartley's life,  his society, and if there was an exact cause for his work, or if it was a spontaneous decision, possibly stemming from boredom, happiness, or some other mood.
Painting Number 46
Oil on canvas
1914-1915

Marsden Hartley 1877-1943
    After walking around the Art Gallery and attempting to let a work of choose me I found myself being influenced by Charles Burchfield's painting titled Sun and Rocks (1918-1950).  This work of art made me think and feel about some spiritual atonement, which I enjoy partaking in this form of thinking.  The painting reminded me how my philosophical thinking can be so brilliant at times and how the world natural elements invoke this.  Furthermore, the connection came from how I incorporate the use of nature into my life; relaxation, thinking, and entertainment.  Being intrigued by this work of art it made the thought arise about why was this image depicted with the colors that are used, why not something more realistic?  Also, the same thoughts about the idea that developed this creativity and what was going on during the artist's life became prevalent.  I found myself thinking about question in regards to the length of time it took and why such a long period of development.
Sun and Rocks
Watercolor and Gouache on paper
1918-1950
Charles Burchfield 1893-1967
                                                                   
    Thirdly, the work of art that I made a connection with was Henri Matisse's painting titled A Glimpse of Notre Dame in the Late Afternoon.  The reason being is due to some simple reasons, well in my opinion.  I thought that scene, or image in the picture brought feelings of relaxation and curiosity about what it would be like to actually be at the place in the painting.  Also, I enjoyed the colors used, they were not bright or did they give a bold impression.  When looking at it I felt relaxed and a sense of calmness overcame my mind and body, which is a good thing.   Moreover, while viewing this painting I again questioned the idea behind the creativity, but, with this specific painting I wanted to understand if the painting was structured to fit the thoughts and feelings that overcame me.  Was this Charles Burchfield's intentions?  Or was he attempting to depict something that is not similar to my thoughts or feelings? 
A Glimpse of Notre Dame in the Late Afternoon
Oil on paper mounted canvas
1912
Henri Matisse 1869-1954
   











    

    




  



    
     Another  painting that I connected with was  Fernand Leger's work of art titled Smoke.  Mainly, the impression I received was one of astonishment, again, the abstract structure brought an elated feeling.  Mostly because it my favorite style of painting, however, another reason was due to the fact that it also made me think and feel that my painting's have some relevance in the art world.  I have been told that my artwork is only paint smeared on a canvas and makes no sense.  This painting (because it was noticed after others and allowed me to see that this form of art is accepted) gave me a feeling and thought process that revolved around confidence.  Not only does my work have meaning and worth, others think so as well, which is a great thing (this also the connection I had with the artwork). Furthermore, I was intrigued to know more about this work of art because of the similarity it has to my paintings.  Thoughts about possible advice, and methods for helping me enhance my work of art arose I was found myself asking questions to the deceased artist; how did you come up with this, and why?  Also, where did you get the courage to show this others?  If it was possible I would really enjoy asking Mr. Leger why he chose to do these forms of paintings and why not other styles.  Great stuff!
Fernand Leger 1881-1955
Smoke
Oil on canvas
1912
             











    


   



     


     After viewing various paintings I considered looking at other forms of art, however, it was difficult to be since photographs were not allowed anywhere else except the first floor.  Still, I was able to find a sculpture that I connected with because of the elements that were incorporated into it.  Jacques Lipchitz's bronze sculpture Sailor with Guitar gave me an impression that was unique.  At first, it was the individual depicted in the sculpture, but the instrument, the guitar.  Since, I am involved with expressing my emotions through my bass guitars I found this piece captivating.  It also allowed me to have some form of unexplained connection with the artist and the sculpture, it was as if we had some music bond between us, which is unusual since I am a realist and understand that inanimate objects do not share these thoughts and feelings, nor  do dead people.  However, this bond transitioned into me wanting to know more about the piece and artist that created it.  The questions that came to light were; "Why a the guitar and sailor, why not not someone or something else?",  "Is this a real person or image that you saw?", and finally, "How long did this take, and why did you think this was important for your work?"  All of these questions arose and I began thinking about how art has much more depth to it, rather than only being a visual entertainment. 
Sailor with Guitar
Bronze
1914

Jacques Lipchitz 1891-1973
                                       

    
















    

     Lastly, my favorite work of art that I connect with was created by Robert Delauney.  His work of art titled Soleil, Tour, Aeroplane (Sun, Tower, Airplane) made a permanent impression for two main reasons.  The first reason has to do with the combination of color and style of art; the use of bright colors and the abstract-looking painting caught my attention without any hesitation.  Again, because this my favorite form of art and it amazes me that something like this can make it into an art gallery.  As for the second reason I was overcome with the use of elements that Delauney implemented.  His work of art has an abstract tendency, but, it also incorporates things that are easily noticed and give the work of art an understanding that something is going on, because of the modern elements involved in it.  To me, it tells a story or gives an impression that more than creative emotions is going on in this painting.  I began asking myself questions that pertained to the reason for this, was the artist deliberately trying to do this or was some other idea planned.  Also, I found myself wondering about the dates that are related to this painting.  Delauney's death was during the World War Two period and this painting seems as if it was created during my generation or closely before it.  Outstanding!  The world of art always brings new insight and I really enjoyed this painting.  I have come to the conclusion that I should visit the local art gallery more often.
Soleil, Tour, Aeroplan
Oil on canvas

Robert Delauney 1885-1941

1 comment:

  1. I liked the works of art that you have chosen. There were a few that I would have chosen too the last one in particular was something that caught my eye because of the bright colors. I also liked how you included the artist's picture, it was nice to put a face to what they created.

    ReplyDelete